Thursday, August 1, 2013

Happy August 1st!

I know it's been a while since my last post, but I had a good reason, honest! My in-laws were in town for a week so we spent the week prior to their visit getting the house in ship-shape and then after they left, we were still motivated by the projects we'd begun before they came and it just slipped my mind to come and update the blog.

That being said, I want to talk about visiting grandparents and the impact on kids. Not so much a travel story, but I've noticed since my kid has gotten older, she has become much, much more aware of the people around her and she develops deep and strong attachments to certain people. She is very interested and attached to both sets of grandparents and so when they leave after visiting, she's definitely a sad little cookie.

Since both sets of grandparents live out of town and don't visit frequently, we've taken to Skyping them quite frequently. At my daughter's age, she just wants to see their faces, maybe say a few words. Her attention span is quite literally 30 seconds for nearly any activity, even for beloved grandparents! However, I've noticed once she sees their faces on the computer screen, she's a much happier kid. It's almost like she needs to be reassured that they are still out there and not gone forever. It also helps to show her pictures of the visit so she can remember some of the happy times they spent together.

As she gets older, I'm sure the Skype conversations will get more involved and she will be more participatory. I'm just glad she'll be able to maintain relationships with out-of-town relatives so easily and fluidly. Isn't technology grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment