Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Kidco Peapod bed recall

I want to alert you to the recall of the Kidco Peapod travel beds due to suffocation risk (and at least one infant death). I actually purchased this bed for my child on a friend's recommendation but discontinued use after a couple of tries as my child rolled into the wall of the tent enclosure and couldn't get herself free; luckily, I was still awake and could hear her struggling and rescued her promptly. It was a scary moment and while I discussed my concerns with Kidco, I didn't necessarily feel they understood the sides of the walls were non-breathable and that advertising the beds for ages 0+ and up was probably not a good idea.

You can read more about the recall here and if you already own the Kidco Peapod bed, you can get the recall kit here. I've ordered and received the kit but have yet to use it. I'm not sure I could ever trust this bed again and plan to use the tent enclosure only outside as a playarea for my child when I'm supervising her.

I'm at a loss to recommend a good travel bed that isn't bulky at this point. We took our Pack 'n Play with us when we went overseas simply because we trusted it more than any other solution that we knew about at the time. A friend of mine recommends the Go Crib wholeheartedly as it folds nicely into a backpack; I have no personal experience with this crib, just passing on the recommendation since I know that finding a place for baby to sleep can be stressful when traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment